February: Translating IP from Bench to Bedside
Panelists: Nobuhiko Hata, PhD; Alaina Adams, PhD; Sameer Sabir
Moderator: Brian Mullen, PhD
Nobuhiko Hata, PhD, Department of Radiology, Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School
Alaina Adams, PhD; CEO, Healthimation
Sameer Sabir, CEO of SevenOaks Biosystems
Brian Mullen, PhD, Innovation Strategy Manager, Brigham Innovation Hub
Where: 60 Fenwood Rd., Boston MA, Ground Floor, Schlager Family Innovation Lobby (directions below)
When: February 16th 4:30-6:30pm
- Registration 4:30-5pm
- Panel 5-6pm
- Networking to follow; appetizers, beer and wine will be provided.
About the Event
Are you looking for IP in life sciences but not sure how to connect with BWH or Partners and the ways to spin out a technology? Or are you a clinician who has submitted invention disclosures and IP to Partners but unsure how it goes from submission to working collaborating with a startup or industry? This panel will feature panelists who have been on both sides of the fence and a representative from Partners Innovation to talk about the ins and outs of getting IP out of the hospital and into industry.
About the Panelists
Brigham & Women’s Research with Translational Experience: Nobuhiko Hata, PhD
Dr. Hata’s research specializes in medical image processing and robotics in image-guided surgery. He has collaborations with industry and has spun out innovations into new companies as well. In addition he holds the following roles:
- Associate Professor, Harvard Medical School
- Technical Director, Image Guided Therapy Program, Brigham and Women’s Hospital
- Director, Surgical Navigation and Robotics Laboratory, Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School
Entrepreneur with Experience Licensing IP out of an Academic Center:
Alaina Adams, PhD
Alaina has co-founded multiple digital health startups; she holds a PhD in Mechanical Engineering from UMass Amherst.
Sameer is currently the CEO of SevenOaks Biosystems, a venture-backed Medical Device company that he co-foudned with Prof Rox Anderson (MGH) with technology licensed from Partners Healthcare. Prior to SevenOaks, Sameer was the Co-Founder and CEO of MoMelan Technologies, which he also co-founded with Prof. Anderson with technology from Partners. MoMelan was acquired by Kinetic Concepts, Inc in 2012. Sameer is a graduate of the Harvard-MIT Biomedical Enterprise Program and prior to graduate school was a healthcare investment banker in London. He holds an MBA from the MIT Sloan School, an SM from HST, and a B.Sc in Immunology from University College London.
Brian Mullen, PhD
Brian is an entrepreneur, design engineer, and researcher with a passion for designing innovative medical products and assistive technologies. Brian holds a B.S.M.E., M.S.M.E and Ph.D. in mechanical engineering from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. Brian’s background covers many disciplines, from clinical research exploring the safety and effectiveness of treatments for people with mental illness to human centered design, universal design, design for commercial viability, and teaching new product development. Brian’s work has led to clinical publications, awards, and presentations in multiple fields as well as pending patents.
Directions to the Schlager Family Innovation Lobby
60 Fenwood Rd., Boston, MA 02115, Ground Floor
The Schlager Family Innovation Lobby is just inside the ground floor entrance of the Brigham Building for Transformative Medicine.
- January: Disruptive Digital Health Innovations (David Rhew, MD, Chief Medical Officer and Head of Healthcare and Fitness at Samsung Electronics America)
- December: How Fidelity Uses Design Thinking to Improve Financial Health (Suzanne Hamill)
- November: Partners IDEA Platform (Brent Richter, Director of IS Operations & Director of Enterprise Research IS, Partners Healthcare Systems)
- October: iHub Studio Launch + Agile in Healthcare (Jeff Sutherland)
- June: Digital Health Expo Networking Event
- May: Entrepreneurship in Nursing (Nancy Hanrahan, PhD, RN, FAAN; Northeastern University)
- April: Create a Pitch for Every Occasion (B-BIC)
- March: The Business of Healthcare Innovation
- February: What is Tech Transfer? (Partners Innovation)
- January: Opportunities and Challenges to Innovation in Mental Health
- December: Big Data and Analytics: Separating Fact from Fiction (Cyft)
- October: iHub Pike Space Launch